Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Researching Today

I'm just going through tons of research. Talked to a friend today who will lend me a War Bonnet to work from. Gloria D recreates authentic Indian clothing. She actually worked on the movie "Dances With Wolves". I went up to her house this evening and borrowed a war bonnet. Her husband Joe Red Feather (Wee-akaluta) sat down with me and I shot this video.



I'm also trying to figure out the bow scabbard I'll be putting on the Indian and the shield design. Tomorrow,I'll start those two items.

Page from one of my books, showing moccasin patterns and headdress shapes.




3 comments:

dennis said...

"The Mystic Warriors of the Plains" by Thomas E. Mails is a fantastic reference for any artist who wants to represent the native american and their culture. It's illustrated beautifully and contains a wealth of additional information. I use mine all the time and have actually read it thru twice now and will probably do again down the road. : )

Maggie Thornton said...

Thanks for this video. The war bonnet is beautiful. Very interesting to hear about the Red Feather Society - a very touching story about the gift from the people to those who sacrificed in such a meaningful way.

Artist - David Lemon said...

Thanks Maggie...