Thursday, December 17, 2009

the Pose and Foaming It - Thursday and Friday Entries

I came to a decision on the pose today, and then set about to create the armatures position. I then added foam to the armature to give it not only strength, but to make it lighter. Using foam, I saved at least 10 pounds of clay, about $25 dollars worth.

Today, Friday December 18th, I added foam to the legs. This is a continuation of the making of the armature for this new Indian piece.

Fridays final Photographs


Gary Dombrowski said...

David, did you use the insulation foam that comes in a can? Or the stuff you used on the base for "Somewhere a cowboy's walkin"? I can see where you would save on a lot of clay. Are going to do this for some of the head as well? Just curious. ~Gary

Artist - David Lemon said...

Let me know, Gary if you get this, I'm not sure how my own comment thingy works.
No, It was what I used in Somewhere a Cowboy's Walkin. It's Taxidermy Foam.. The spray can stuff takes forever to rise and to dry, and it might have a big gooey center even when it drys. It'll work, you just have to lay down your armature above a piece of wax paper and leave the space you want, usually the depth of the chest area, and then spray it below the armature and let it rise to meet it. You do that on both sides. Or you can do what I did. It'll take over night to set up though instead of the 5 or 6 minutes from pour to carving that taxidermy foam takes

Angela Swedberg said...

What a treat your postings are. They also answer some of my questions I have pertaining to sculpting. You are providing a invaluable teaching tool to those who find this jewel of a blog.

Artist - David Lemon said...

@Angela...Thank you so much for your incouraging comment. I know I don't get to a lot of people, but I still think it's worth the amount of time, passing it on... so to speak.