Friday, July 15, 2011

Letters from Cheyenne High School Students - "I'm Proud To Be Cheyenne"

I was given letters from all the students from the Lame Deer High school who came to my studio yesterday. I just wanted to share them with you.
These letters show a pride in not only their heritage, but their culture and where they live. They are decedents of a people who survived near genocide by our military and government policies.
I can't put myself or you in their shoes, but I thought you should at least see the make of theirs

2 comments:

Angela Swedberg said...

Thank You for sharing these priceless letters David. I am happy the kids shared with you, and you shared their voices with the outside world. So often Indian people and culture are looked upon as if they are from sometime back in history, and many forget they are here now, live their lives now and have every reason to be proud of who they are.

Artist - David Lemon said...

I agree. I thought it was a look into a culture that very few get to see and experience, and I wanted to crack the window.. Good to hear from you.. How you been?